So I have been bingeing on “Outlander” the last few months – all five seasons. Yes, I have become enthralled with it. What a magnificent love story!!
And this is what I’ve learned:
- Don’t be afraid to love. Give your heart willingly and completely. Risk loss and heartache. Be brave.
- Give words to your love. Say all the things you feel. Even it seems corny, say it to the one you love.
- Give action to your love. Do the small things as well as the big things. Be helpful. Be kind. Be thoughtful.
- Fight for your love. Make the effort. Put in the time and energy. Make your love feel important.
- Tell others of your love. Be proud. Speak positively about your love.
- Be true to your love. Don’t stray. Don’t lie. Don’t let someone or something come between you.
- Don’t keep secrets from your love. Be honest. Be forthcoming. Be your true self.
- Have fun with your love. Laugh. Be spontaneous. See the humor in everyday things.
- Be strong for your love. Hold tight. Be present. Cry with them in the sad times. Don’t quit.
- Be willing to share your love. Include children, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents – all the family you can find. And friends. Love shared is love multiplied.
- Spend time with your love. Be willing to listen, watch and share. Your time is your greatest gift.
- Allow your loved one to be their best self. Support their passions, hobbies and skills. Share their joys. Applaud their growth.
- Be lovingly physical. Make love. Hold hands. Kiss often. Stroke arms. Sit close. Rub backs. Touch feet.
- Protect your love. Don’t let interlopers in. Don’t let love die from lack of attention. Keep watch. Stay alert.
And so love is not a casual accidental thing. It is intentional. It takes time and work. It is not just a noun. It is also a verb. It is a full-time job for the rest of your life.
And it is so worth it!!!!!!!